Why did I become a Physiotherapist?
Scoliosis has been a part of my life since the age 12. My curve progressively increased throughout my teenage years and resulted in extensive back surgery in 2013 to fuse and straighten my spine. My scoliosis journey has not been easy but the life lessons I have learnt have been invaluable. It has taught me resilience, courage, strength and was the reason I became a physiotherapist – to support those in a similar position to where I was. I completed my studies at Bond University and graduated with a Doctor of Physiotherapy in 2014. Since graduating I have had wonderful opportunities working in private practice and now, I’m ready to follow my passion and open a clinic dedicated to patients with scoliosis.
Early in my career as a Physiotherapist, I quickly realised there was a big gap in the conservative management of scoliosis in Australia. Further, there was no scoliosis-specific training available in the country. My drive and passion to find answers and fill this gap in the treatment of scoliosis led me to many wonderful travel opportunities overseas. In 2017, I completed my Schroth certification in Barcelona, Spain and more recently have spent time living and working in Vancouver, Canada as part of the founding ScoliClinic team. I was instantly drawn to The ScoliClinic’s talented team of therapists, strong values, and drive to provide the highest quality experience and care for those with scoliosis and other spinal conditions. I feel so fortunate to have the opportunity to bring The ScoliClinic’s vision to Australia under the name The Scoliosis Collective and be a part of the team – from the other side of the world!
The following courses support my practice as a Physiotherapist:
- WHTA Women’s Health Physiotherapy Intensive Course (2018)
- APPI Pilates Equipment Level 1,2,3,4 (2018)
- Barcelona Scoliosis Physical Therapy School – C1 (2017)
- APA Sports Physiotherapy Level 1 course (2016)
- Pilates Equipment 1,2 &3 for Physiotherapists, Pilates Institute of Queensland (2016)
- Musculoskeletal Segmental Layering and Dry Needling Course, Combined Health (2015)
- Rocktape Kinesiology and Power Taping course (2014)
- Studio Pilates International Matwork Instructor Course (2014)
- Doctor of Physiotherapy, Bond University (2014)
- Level 1 Sports Trainer course (2012)
- Bachelor of Exercise Science, Bond University (2012)
Whether you’ve just been diagnosed with scoliosis, or have mirrored my experience, or have had scoliosis for many years, I look forward to meeting you and helping you through your journey.