Feeling stiff from sitting in virtual meetings?
We feel it too! Most of us are used to moving around throughout the day, walking through the school hallways, meeting friends for walks, or participating in regular sports and activities.
Here’s the common issue we’ve been hearing from our clients these days:
“My body doesn’t feel great from all this sitting. I’m nervous to follow just any yoga or stretching video on youtube with my Scoliosis because I’m not sure what’s appropriate for my spine. What can I do to feel better?”
Can you relate?
We’ve put together our top 3 Scoliosis-Friendly stretches that DON’T require any equipment, to try in between alllll of the online meetings, webinars, and lectures!
Modified Child’s Pose
- Kneel with hands placed on chair or couch
- Lower your bum onto your heels
- Ensure your back isn’t rounded. If it is, place your hands on a higher surface or place a pillow between your bum and your heels
- Focus on reaching your sit bones and fingertips away from each other to lengthen your spine
- Take 5 slow, deep breaths, focusing on expanding your ribcage
Upright Hip Flexor Stretch
- Stand up from the chair you’ve been spending so much time on
- Face the chair towards you
- Place one foot onto the seat of the chair
- Hold onto the back of the chair with your hands
- Step your bottom foot backwards, and prop up onto the ball of your foot
- Lean into the chair, bringing your hips forward
- Be mindful to maintain a neutral spine. Tilting your torso forward is OK, but try to avoid arching your back. Hold 30 sec on each side
Chest Stretch with Spine Elongation
- Stand in a doorway
- Place your forearm on the doorframe, with your elbow at the same height as your shoulder
- Inhale and lengthen your spine, reaching the crown of your head toward the ceiling
- Ensure your pelvis and chest are pointed straight ahead
- Keep this alignment and step your body forward until you feel a stretch across the front of your shoulder
- Hold for 30 seconds and repeat on the other side
Give these stretches a try at home! If you need more guidance or a stretching routine specific to your curve, give us a call.
We’re here to support you!
The ScoliClinic Team